Love and Girls Over 60

Love and Girls Over 60

GrandMas and Great Ideas






Yes, I ‘m a Great GrandMa (with the emphasis on Great and Grand, if you please).  When I tell someone I’m a Great GrandMa, they look at me skeptically.  Their look seems to say Grandmas should be at home minding the grand kids, knitting socks, baking cookies, or helping Grandpa get around.

Well, doing those things is just fine and I don’t mind ….sometime.  But that’s just not me. I look forward to rehearsing with my drama group, performing with my dance

ministry or line dancing at the senior center.  Attending an out-of-town event with my friends, writing articles for my blogs and maintaining my various internet businesses also make my life lively and interesting.  Sounds like a lot? Maybe but I believe that Grandmas should be living and enjoying life to the fullest.  Last time I looked, exercise machines were fast replacing rocking chairs and I distinctly remember when a GPS told me it could take me anywhere!

Darnell Senior Drama Club

Being both Great and Grand means I've been around the block a few times.   It  seems like it was only yesterday I held my mother’s hand as she took me to visit my GrandMas.  I remember that they were young women who acted old. Mainly because it was expected of them.

Did you know that the senior citizens segment today is the largest growing population in America?  (See article in Census.gov).  That means senior citizens, like myself, are living longer. We’re looking better too….could be all that line dancing.


WELL WHAT IS IT?

 Medical practitioners state that there are certain things that can keep us young and kicking.  Some will tell you it’s the exercise, others will say that it’s what you eat, while other experts point positively to all those new vitamins and drugs. I am suppose all that makes sense. But may I tell you how I keep my fingers snapping?   

  •  Keep learning. I went back to school in my fifties and obtained my Master’s degree.  Now I am learning about computers and internet marketing.  I try not to let my brain be idle. "An idle mind is the devil's workshop." And the devil's name is Alzheimer

  • Treasure Your Ability to Laugh. Laugh until you gasp for breath. The other day I went on a week-end trip with some of my friends.  During the ride in the van to our destination we laughed so hard the miles just flew by.  When I got home I felt so good, inside and out.  I know I had a big smile on my face and my voice was strong and confident. Recent reports state that positive social relationships between women are just as beneficial as exercise because women are better able to share their feelings.
  •  Endure, grieve, and move on. As we grow older, the tears happen as we lose family and friends. The only person, who is with us our entire life, is ourselves. Be ALIVE while you are alive.
  • Treasure Your Home. The other day I bought a five foot green tin elephant.
    People come to my house, look at the elephant, look at me and form some
    kind of opinion.  I have no idea what.  All I know is that it is healing to surround myself with what I love, whether it's family, pets, keepsakes, music, plants, hobbies, or a whimsical big tin elephant in my living room.

  •  Treasure Your Health.  I’ve had breast cancer twice.  I will do everything to preserve my health, improve it, or get help when I need it.  I will research to make sure of my available treatments, when needed.
  • Treasure Your Peace Of Mind. Get rid of the guilt. When my mother transitioned, I took in some guilt about her last days. It put me in a state of depression. The guilt trips were too much, I had to get up and get out but NOT to where the guilt was. 

  • Treasure Your Spiritual Self. Depend on a power bigger than yourself.  If you think you can do this life all by yourself and be happy, think again.



P.S.  Never, never let anyone tell you that you are too old to do anything!  Be Great -  Be Grand - LIVE.






No comments:

Post a Comment